Control in process industries refers to the regulation of all aspects of the process. Precise control of level, temperature, pressure and flow is important in many process applications.
This course introduces you to advanced control in process industries, explains why control is important and identifies different ways in which precise control is ensured for main process equipment such as reactors, pumps, compressors, fired heaters and heat exchangers just to name a few.
- Understand process dynamics and show their relevance to controller tuning.
- Describe the inner workings of PID controllers.
- Recognize different controller types, algorithms, and options, and describe when to use each.
- Apply the appropriate tuning techniques for different process types and tuning objectives.
- Employ techniques for quickly assessing the performance of control loops.
- Identify control valve and instrumentation problems.
- Find sources of process nonlinearity.
- Recognize performance issues that are not related to control loop problems.
- Identify how and when to apply cascade and feedforward controls.
- Understand the interaction of feedforward and cascade
- Understand the design, use and tuning of ratio and override controls.
- Optimize control loop performance.
Who Should Attend??
- Process control engineers & technicians
- Instrumentation engineers & technicians
- Design engineers & technicians
- Piping engineers & technicians
- Maintenance engineers & technicians
- Do we need to control at all ?
- Principles of equipment-wise control
- Pipe control system
- Control of a single pipe
- Control of pressure in a pipe
- Control of flow in a pipe
- Flow merging
- Flow splitting
- Centrifugal pump control
- Control valve vs Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) for centrifugal pumps
- Minimum flow control for centrifugal pumps
- Positive displacement pump control
- Control by a recirculation pipe for PD pumps
- Variable Speed Drive (VSD) control for PD pumps
- Control by stroke adjustment for PD pumps
- Compressor control system
- Compressor capacity control
- Compressor anti-surge control
- Heat transfer equipment control
- Heat exchanger direct control system
- Heat exchanger bypass control system
- Reactor temperature control
- Air cooler control
- Heat exchanger for heat recovery
- Heat exchanger back pressure control
- Basic fired heater control
- Complex fired heater control
- Container and vessel control
- Container blanket gas control
- Introduction to Advance Process Control (APC)
- What is APC?
- Case Study: An illustration through Distillation Column
- APC: Advantages, Applications and Extraction
- APC: Implementation Steps
- Functional Design of APC Controller
- Cost Benefit Analysis of APC
- Evolution of APC
- Presentation & Slides
- Audio Visual Aids
- Interactive Discussion
- Participatory Exercise
- Action Learning
- Class Activities
- Case Studies